Problems Arise When One Parent Defies Child Custody Order

Problems arise when one parent defies child custody order

When making child custody decisions, courts in New Jersey are guided by the principle of doing what is in the best interests of the child. Often, this means allowing the child to maintain a relationship with both parents. Naturally, this is a source of contention for many divorcing couples.

Sadly, there are some parents who simply refuse to obey court orders that give their ex-spouse shared custody. There are legal remedies for non-compliance with a court order, but it is obviously a lot easier if both parents just agree to abide by the child custody ruling. When one parent decides to defy the order, their actions are often harmful to the child as well as the other parent.

According to the Daily Mail, a British man is currently going through an intensely long, expensive and frustrating court battle to see his daughter, who is being kept from him by her mother more than 80 court orders.

The couple had apparently lived together for ten years before the girl was born. They separated when their daughter was nearly 2 years old. She is now 14, and has been kept from her father for nearly 12 years of constant litigation.

In addition to disobeying court orders to allow her ex to visit his daughter, the woman has also falsely accused him of sexually abusing the child. For some reason, the case remains unresolved despite 12 years of work. During that time, the child has been represented by 10 social workers, the case has gone before seven judges and 82 court orders for contact have been issued.

One judge spoke highly of the man, saying: “This is an unimpeachable father against whom no adverse findings of fact have been made at any stage in this process and whose demeanor before this court was dignified and measured despite the enormous frustration and anger he must feel.”

Although this is an extreme example, it illustrates how devastating and frustrating it can be when one parent decides to disobey a custody order and keep the child or children away from the other parent. If you are facing similar problems with an ex-spouse, you should share your concerns with an experienced family law attorney who can explain your rights and options.

Source: The Daily Mail, “Father with no rights: Mother stops him seeing daughter for 12 YEARS – despite 82 court orders demanding she back down,” Ben Spencer, Dec. 8, 2013


To speak with one of our highly knowledgeable attorneys, contact us today at (973)-233-4396 or toll-free at (888)-877-7985. You can also complete the form below to begin your conversation. We are a personalized, boutique-style law firm that offers free initial consultations and flexible appointment options.